So yesterday we went to Fairfax Hospital to emergency around 7:30 am as Dr. Hashemi was operating there that day.

Within 20 to 30 minutes, we had, and when I say we, I mean Ron, an X-ray, blood work, ECG and Chest X-ray.  In Canada, that would have been at lest 4 to 5 hours!!  Excellent service and care here. Everyone was so pleasant and kind.

This is the X-ray of his broken bone.  It was worse than originally thought by both the Paramedic and Dr. Hashemi.


And these are his hands. Guess which one is broken??


Unfortunately, after that we had to wait for close to 8 hours before we were able to get upstairs to the Surgery floor.

It wasn’t until about 5:00 pm that he was finally rolled into the Operating Room. I went to the waiting room yet again and was given a paper with his ID # where I could watch on a TV screen at what level he was at, i.e. pre-op, procedure, etc.  I was also given one of those things you get when you go to a restaurant when you are waiting.

I did manage to go outside for a bit and enjoy a little bit of the sunshine.


After skyping with Denise for about 1/2 hour, the Dr. came to talk to me and let me know that Ron was in Recovery and awake,  I did already know he was in recovery due to the cool TV screen.

He then proceeded to tell me that the surgery took 72 minutes rather than the 30 minutes he had thought.  The metal wire he was hoping to insert was not stable enough to fuse the bones (those are my words, not his, he was way more medical!) so they had to insert a screw and 3 metal wires that went across his hand/joint.  He showed me an X-ray of the picture, which I am hoping we will get a copy of.  It was pretty cool/scary looking.

I was then called up as Ron was ready to be discharged.  He was awake and, oddly enough, eating!  He seemed with it and not it too much pain.  That came later. Here is the end result. Larger than life.


I needed to get a prescription filled and I was able to do that in the hospital while they were finishing up with him.  CAA was fabulous to deal with, everything is covered, no out-of-pocket for us.  Thank goodness as I assume it would be $10,000 at least, but don’t quote me.

Finally, we were able to go back to the hotel and get some needed rest so we could be tourists.

Today we are off to Alexandria.

Until we meet again.

Hospital Adventure

Post navigation

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *